Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I schedule a tour of WCSA’s facilities?

    Yes! We are delighted to give tours to any size group. Call our office to schedule.

  • What is WCSA?

    The Washington County Service Authority (WCSA) is a water and wastewater utility in southwest Virginia, serving approximately 21,000 active water connections and approximately 2,300 wastewater connections in Washington County and surrounding areas.  WCSA was originally chartered in 1953 as the Goodson Kinderhook Water Authority and then consolidated with the Washington County Sanitary District #1 in 1976. However, our roots go back to 1910 when the Abingdon Water and Light Utility was establishe…

  • Can I get an extension on my bill?

    Yes. If you can’t pay your bill before disconnection of service, an extension form may be completed at our office or over the phone. All penalties and handling fees are still added to your account. The form requires you to give a date and time when your payment can be expected.

  • What is WCSA’s Governing Body?

    Our utility is governed by a Board of Commissioners, whose members are appointed by the Washington County Board of Supervisors.  The WCSA Board of Commissioners ordinarily meets the fourth Monday of each month in the E.W. Potts Board Room located at 25122 Regal Drive, Abingdon, Virginia.  Board meetings are open to the public and residents are encouraged to attend.  For a schedule of meeting times, please call our office or visit our website at  

  • How do I transfer service?

    Please call our office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday- Friday. A non-refundable, $40 service charge will be applied to your first month's billing.

  • How is WCSA Funded?

    WCSA is not supported by tax revenues.  Our cost of operations is supported solely through income generated from rates, fees and charges, most of which comes from connection fees and monthly user fees.  The cost of capital improvements related to growth (water and wastewater treatment plants, pumps, tanks and lines) and providing additional capacity into our infrastructure creates financial demands that must be absorbed by customers through connection fees and monthly user fees. WCSA funds new …

  • What is a User Agreement?

    A User Agreement is a contract used to gauge interest in water or wastewater service in a specific area.  The User Agreement is a formal commitment to purchase a connection if service becomes available.  Persons who sign and return user agreements can “lock in” the connection fee listed on the agreement.  At the time service becomes available they will pay the fee listed on the agreement, even if the price has increased.  

  • What Does a Connection Fee Include?

    For residential customers, the connection fee is a one-time fee assessed when a customer formally applies for service (when service is available to the property.)  WCSA implements a two-part connection fee. This comprehensive fee consists of a tap fee, which covers the physical cost of making the tap into the system, setting the meter and processing the necessary paperwork; and a system fee, which is a portion of the cost to purchase the required amount of capacity to serve a new customer in WCS…

  • When Do I Pay The Connection Fee?

    When the project is complete and service becomes available, residents who have signed User Agreements can to come to our office and complete a New Service Application.  Payment of the connection fee (or down payment) is required with the Application.  After you have completed an application your meter will be installed and you may begin using water. Shortly thereafter, you will begin receiving a monthly bill.  If available and you have chosen a financing option, the connection fee payment plan w…

  • Where Does WCSA’s Water Come From?

    WCSA takes raw water from the Middle and South Forks of the Holston River, two large springs (located in the Mill Creek and Taylor’s Valley communities) and from a well in Mendota. These raw sources are treated by effective methods and then pumped into the water system. WCSA also purchases water from the Town of Saltville and expects to soon purchase water from Scott County Public Service Authority and Russell County Public Service Authority for the Mendota and Hidden Valley communities, respec…

  • How Long Does A Water Project Take?

    Planning and constructing a water system can be a lengthy process that can take two to as much as seven years to complete depending on many different factors.  The following is the basic process WCSA follows to develop new projects: 1. WCSA is contacted by residents expressing their desire for a water line extension to serve the area.   WCSA identifies one or more of these residents who are willing to serve as “Project Champions”.  The Project Champions volunteer to go door-to-door soliciting U…

  • Will WCSA Connect My House Plumbing to the Meter?

    Installation of a service line from the meter to the residence is the customer’s responsibility. WCSA recommends that customers get estimates and compare prices before hiring someone to do this type of work.  The customer is also responsible for installing a pressure reducing valve (PRV) on the customer’s side of the meter, and for locating and repairing any leaks that occur on the customer’s line between the residence and meter. All maintenance, repair, and replacement is that of the customer. …

  • Can I Continue to Use My Private Water Source After Connecting to the WCSA System?

    WCSA customers are required to maintain a physical separation between any plumbing that provides water from a private source (wells, springs, etc.) and plumbing that provides water from the WCSA water supply.   This means you can continue to use your well or spring water for other purposes as long as it has separate plumbing.  

  • Can I Connect Two Houses or Buildings To The Same Water Meter?

    A separate meter must be purchased for each additional structure.  In order to reserve a connection at the current year’s connection fee, you must complete a User Agreement for each residence or structure for which you intend to purchase a connection.  

  • Once a New Water Line is Installed, How Soon Must I Connect?

    By signing the agreement, the property owner must  agree that they will complete a New Service Application and pay the connection fee (or arrange for payment) within one (1) year of service becoming available to their property.  If the property owner has not paid the connection fee or arranged for payment of the connection fee within one (1) year of service becoming available to their property, WCSA will take steps to collect the connection fee.   

  • Once I complete the application, do I have to remain a customer?

    By signing the agreement, the property owner agrees to maintain water service for a period of at least three years from the date the meter is installed.  

  • Can I Sign a Water User Agreement For a Vacant Lot?

    User Agreements are not solicited from owners of vacant properties; however, you may sign a User Agreement if you are committed to becoming a full-scale user of the water system.  By signing the agreement, the property owner must  agree that they will complete a New Service Application and pay the connection fee (or arrange for payment) within one (1) year of service becoming available to their property.  

  • The Truth About Lead and Drinking Water: What You Should Know

    What is lead? Lead is a naturally occurring mineral that is found throughout our environment. It is produced and distributed through the burning of fossil fuels, mining and manufacturing, and is widely used in products such as batteries, paint and ammunition. It is also found in building materials, such as solder, flux, pipes and plumbing fixtures.   How does it get in the water? Lead is not often found naturally in a water supply. WCSA source waters were tested for a variety of constituents…